Friday, September 09, 2005

Is it me or is it strange?

Isn’t the whole idea of traveling to experience other cultures and places? Why is it then that when you are on a tour, the tour guide will arrange food from YOUR culture? You’re Chinese? Then it’s 小龙包 for you! Malay is your spoken language? Then its down the Malaya Restaurant! "It doesn’t matter that we are in Japan; I can cater to your tastes!"

That brings me to a conversation I had with a friend some time back. I was marveling at how he wanted to eat Chinese/Asian food AGAIN. It is strange really because if you imagine yourself having to go overseas for a prolonged period of time, you would be going “SHIT! I HAVE TO EAT MORE LOCAL FOOD NOW BECAUSE I AM NOT GOING TO GET THAT IN XXX COUNTRY!”. So you embark on this whole food trail thing in your hometown in preparation for the bad times ahead.

You get to XXX country and what do you find? Food from back home! And you eat those again and again and again. Local fare? Well, that’s just for emergencies.

Ah… The beauty of globalization.


黄熊熊 was perplexed at why said friend always go for non-western dishes. Resisting cultural imperialism?! Hahahaha...

No comments: