Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Two sleepless days + lots of fun!

Sometimes in our lives, we are forced to make tough decisions. Some choices represent a fine line between life and death, while others are between the calories-laden premium ice-cream that is oh-so-delicious or the fat-free yogurt that is oh-so-blah. Other days, it is this: should I go clubbing tonight, and skip a day tour at a nearby island tomorrow early morning; or should I go for the tour, and to hell with clubbing? It is on days like that that you are at your most genius: attend both and to hell with sleep!

-Klub Kandy-

This has my friend's friend from Melbourne proclaiming that Brisbane is very 'happening'. I thought Melb is supposed to be the cosmopolitan heart of Australia? Hmm... Anyway, Klub Kandy (KK) is the name of an event that occurs once every semester. Apparently, it is huge, and students from the 3 main universities in Brisbane (UQ, QUT and Griffiths) will flock to the venue, Family (that's right, KK is held in Family). Because this year is the anniversary of KK, another neighbouring venue was added: Empire.

Now, now... The reason why I went for KK was because we had free passes, courtesy of D's friend! Thank you, Terence (hope I got the spelling right)! Anyway, while waiting outside, free lollies were dispensed!

D thinks it's a conspiracy to get girls to lick something. I think free lollies are cool. And a little too sweet.

After some boring vibrating in Family (the more popular club I think because so many people were there until I felt like a sardine. Geddit? Geddit?!!!), the three of us decided it was too hot and smelly to stay around. That said, Family does have some nice deco.

This is part of the ice-top bar. Who needs ice in drinks when you can get a whole bar made from ice?

We headed back to Empire, only to find it empty saved for the staff! Great! And guess what the DJ was playing? Retro!!! That's like totally coooooooooooool!!! I like totally heart mambo!!! Woohoo!!!

The DJs at Empire were great too! They danced with you, they sang with you, they played the music that let us get on down. Summer lovin' man!!!

Sidetrack: D's and my phone are both 2 megapixels. But compare her (above) image quality with mine (following)! Not fair!

So the night ended with us hobbling home with achy balls of feet. Anything free = fun!!!


-Moreton Island-

Moreton Island is known for its bugs. And I love the bugs. They are soooooooo delicious! :P

You were thinking that I like to eat creepy crawlies right!

The day started with a short drive from Brisbane city to the Port of Brisbane, where we boarded the ferry to Moreton Island.

Beautiful sea!

Moreton Island is not for the skinny asses, literally. Because there are no sealed roads on the sand island, you need to get by in a 4WD. And 4WD are certainly not meant to be smooth! That will give your ass a real good workout! Ladies, wear a good support bra to keep your chest away from your face!

Taken during a 4WD smooth ride in this:
Where I looked like this:
Relax and chill during your bumpy 4WD!

Before we reached the island, we saw this!

Shipwrecks!

Heh heh... These ships were deliberately put there to serve as a shelter for smaller vessels. No one was hurt in making of these Tangalooma Wrecks. I think.

Think everyone has heard of snowboarding. But sandboarding? Wahaha!!! I tried it and failed miserably. But it's alright... I shall just rely on something that is less likely to break my neck, and let gravity do all the work. Ladies and gentlemen, the wonderful sports of sand toboggan at The Desert!

Firstly, D and Shane, our guide, will demostrate how you should position yourself on the sand board. That's right kids. Body in the middle, feet together bent at knees and elbows out! Close your mouth to avoid adding that extra undelicious crunch to your lunch.*

Then, I demostrated how far you should not go because climbing up the steeply-inclined sand slope is a bitch. Frik! Too late!

After numerous tumbles, Shane decided to give up on us (read: me)**, and we headed for North Point (not the mall in Yishun). There, I finally found the stick they used at the start of each Lonely Planet/Globe Trekker show!

Can you see the man coming out to start drawing a circle in the sand? If you have never watched one episode of Lonely Planet or Globe Trekker, especially one with Ian Wright as the host, quit trying to figure out what this is about!

This, my friends, is the North Point I was referring to:

We drank some seawater, had a chicken burger lunch, and was further tortured when we moved across some really hot, burning sand, and sharp, tiny pine cones to the Honeymoon lookout point. But it was worth it because the view was beautiful.

I hope no honeymoon ends up at the bottom of this steep fall.

Driving in our nifty 4WD again, we went to Blue Lagoon that has freshwater. Now, freshwater is a good idea after getting seawater from the water guns you brought along. Contact lens and salt and water simply do not match. Oh! We had to take a short walk to reach the lagoon. Again. My calves are never going to be the same again.

Despite being a hot day, the water was cool. Not only the Blue Lagoon they serve in clubs is cool eh? :D

I think bringing a large towel to a beach is a must. Tiny face towels do not allow you to adequately cover your bits while you change from your wet things to your dry, clean clothes. Remember!

Yet another bumpy, ass-vibrating 4WD later, we arrived back at the Eastern beach where the shipwrecks are. To show you why Sentosa cannot compare to the waters here...

Count the creatures and win one sand from Moreton!

Sadly, it was not the season for whales, turtles, dolphins and the likes. Our trip ended with a hot, sunny, dry ride back in a smaller vessel. Goodbye Moreton Island! You are worth every sand we paid! Or maybe not... Hmm...


***
P/s: At the end of the day, KFC two piece feed is fantastic!

*My beloved friends said I will throw my own face, so I have a confession to make. While I did not suffer any injuries from the toboggan or snowboarding, I managed to bruise a finger trying to open a window. Perfect!

**Just kidding... Shane was really nice!

1 comment:

bestfriend said...

thanks jllt. love this blog!
avanza