Wednesday, September 26, 2007

To save money

I had two Ikea vouchers worth $10 each. Expiring on 22 September 2007.

I went to Ikea and spent 2 hours figuring out what to get.

Not that there's nothing I like in Ikea. On the contrary, I like many things but they are not suitable for me. I mean, where can I put a red couch when the floor in my room is made of bags and more bags?

Plan: Make full use of the vouchers and spent as little excess as possible.

After much to-ing and fro-ing, I finally got these:



To appreciate how well I stuck to my plan, look at this:


For the non-food items. $10.10!


You must be thinking: Ah ha! She didn't consider the 'No Plastic Bags' policy in Ikea! Wrong! I did. What I did not know for that the Pappis Magaz Files that were selling in 2pcs for 10c was in fact already packed as 2pcs. So I took up 2 individual packs = 2 x 2 = 4. Incidentally, the boxes are all folded and sitting on top of my bag-floor.

That's doing pretty good I would say. Now to the food items. The Daim chocolates (fantastic things I tell you) are $7.40. The Ballerina (I don't think you will be shaped like one after eating them) costs $2.90. Not too bad I think. That's $10.30 right?

Here's the number crunch:

Value of vouchers = Absolute voucher value - trip to Ikea - excess paid - things you don't actually need - cost of lunch you 'happened' to miss - return fare when you forgot your Ez-Link has no more value (see below image for rare glimpse at the humble bus ticket)

Value of vouchers = $20 - $1.10 - $0.40 - $20.40 - $1.70 - $1.30 = -$4.90

No comments: