Thursday, October 12, 2006

What's up

Recently, I've been hurrying around doing school work. 7 assignments ain't easy and now I'm down to two (I think). The last semester of my schooling days and damn if it's not the worst.

Had to do a whole research (interviews, analysis and the works) to get a power 30%. As R would say, this is really 够力. Muahaha... But that's over and done with, so I'll just flick my hair and head for the next. Anyhoo, shan't bore you with my amazingly 够力 assignments, except for the fact that two presentations were pushed forward by 1-2 weeks. Zzzz...

I just saw this, and thought to myself: Hey you! You should record down the food stalls in your secondary school before your memory deteriorates to nothingness. By the way, can anyone enlighten me on why some websites like to have a static url despite you clicking on different links within the site? I never understand that because if word-of-mouth is so 够力 and not everything on the site will be 够力, shouldn't you let people link your really 够力 things to others they know so your site will be more popular? Hmmm... This is what TWO marketing courses do to me. Well. Food.

Stall 1: Drinks stall A
Not to be confused with Drink stall B for it sells iced milo! The must-have post-lesson drink. Some days it's good, others days it's diluted. But at 50c a glass (my time was quite some time ago), mai hiam si buay pai. Comes with the usual small tibits, such as biscuits. Ooooo! Hotdog bread! Yum! High in sodium and so very nice! 50c too! The milo and hotdog bread combo is the staple for those who were saving to buy their Sonia Rykiel/JPG/Chantal Thomass bags and wallets. Lian ah lian! Chao ah lian!

Stall 2: Beige plate economic rice
One of the two economic rice stalls in Beatty. The usual stuff you get. Huge servings for below $2. Eat until the rice comes out from your nose. Curry here not bad. And has lots of fried food. The stall Jamie Oliver would want to change. Healthy diet it is not.

Stall 3: Noodle stall
Super long queue at this one. Sells prawn noodles, fish ball noodles, Hokkien noodles and some other noodles. The prawn noodles and Hokkien noodles are the best. I used to smack on tonnes of chilli in the prawn noodles until the soup turned red. My friends were amazed and slightly disgusted when they first saw me doing that. By secondary 4, most were smacking along beside me. Sadly, the uncle selling the noodles got knocked down while cycling on the road and passed away. He was never a very nice and amiable fellow, but he cooked good noodles. Hokkien noodles must add tonnes of lime juice. And chilli of course.

Stall 4: Vegetarian stall
I think it sells boring stuff like pasta (just add pasta sauce to boiled pasta variety) and vegetarian pizza. A little more western than others and more expensive, considering it barely fills you up. Would love to know what's there now.

Stall 5: Fruits stall
Perhaps this was there because MOE says so. Don't recall many people buying drinks from there. Probably because it's twice the price of milo. Sweet, sweet milo.

Stall 6: Red plate economic rice
DELICIOUS!!! Super long queue! By secondary 4, you can see my WHOLE class queuing there to snap up the fried chicken. The aunties there once disclosed to us that she had to sell in secrecy because the uncle in stall 7 not happy about them selling DELICIOUS friend chicken when he was selling chicken noodles. Anyway, on Saturdays, when we have Guides, we sometimes go earlier to drink their porridge. P would take liberate amounts of fried shallots. I feel sad for the aunties because their shallots were freshly cut and fried by them. Not the tasteless pale ones that are sold in packets. Maybe the aunties remember P as the girl-whom-they-hid-their-fried-shallots-from.

Stall 7: X noodle stall
Cannot figure out what the uncle sells. He's the one who complained about the fried chicken in stall 6. Most eat there only because it's the shortest queue. I feel quite sorry for the uncle and sometimes lent him support by bravely eating whatever he was selling. I think there was some wantons, some noodles, some sweet brown gravy, and a couple of spring onions.

Stall 8: Malay economic rice stall
In my 4 years in Beatty, I only ate there once. So. Next!

Stall 9: Malay stall
Auntie there quite haughty wor! But BEST mee soto I ever have. Mai siao siao. Always see a long queue, possibly also because there are limited options for the muslim community. Nasi lemak also nice though nothing elaborate. I wonder how she did it.

Stall 10: Drinks stall B
I think this is the stall that sells Cherry. And one of those transparent drinks with flavours.

I wonder what's in Beatty now. I think some of my friends tried to go back to visit the teachers (and the food) and got turned away by the security guards. Nowadays, to get into a school, I think you need a visitor pass. Good and safe for the kids but not really helping in cultivating a tradition of being grateful to your educators.

I want to eat the fried chicken.

No comments: